Monday 23 November 2015

Farming Life

I took a drive out to Sutton Hoo today, the ancient Anglo Saxon National Trust Site, only to find it was only open at the weekend, but on the way I saw a pig farm and a free range chicken farm, so I thought I'd start a post on Farming and just add to it as I go. I was talking to someone recently, who told me that the UK had a huge contract with China for pork. So more research was needed.

David Cameron secures 45 mill.pound pig semen deal between China & UK
Evening Standard 20 September 2015


'Today's pig industry has its origins in 6000 years of farming. Throughout this period, the pig has been a valuable farm animal that has consumed waste products, fertilised the ground and provided an efficient source of meat production'.



'In the heart of the Suffolk countryside next to the ancient Anglo-Saxon National Trust site at Sutton Hoo is another heritage treasure. Sutton Hoo Free Range Chickens are chickens with a difference. A traditional slow growing breed, the birds roam freely on 40 acres of pasture overlooking the River Deben'.

2 comments:

  1. those chooks would be exhausted roaming 40 acres. Maybe they specialize in frozen chooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Ruth. I found it interesting, cause I haven't seen a free range farm like this before, even though we have them back home :)

      Delete